One of my biggest culinary obsessions earlier this year, when it was freezing cold and seemed like winter would never end, was spicy laksa noodle soup with lots of coconut cream! So, now that were back in cold-mode, I figured I’d share the recipe with everyone, as its super easy to make and so delicious.
This recipe is pretty versatile, and you can pretty much add whatever vegetables you like / have on hand. When I have bok choy, I love to use it. But sometimes, I have to resort to using broccoli lol. You can also switch up the protein; the recipe typically calls for chicken and shrimps, but you can use just one or swap from another protein like: fish, scallops, etc. (I wouldn’t really use beef or pork but your call; let me know how it goes!). You can also interchange coconut milk and coconut cream, depending on what you want. Coconut cream will give you a thicker broth, in comparison to coconut milk. Whatever ingredients you decide to use, I’m sure you’ll love this soup. Enjoy!
Turquoise Blog’s Spicy Laksa Noodle Soup Recipe
Recipe for: 2 portions + leftovers
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 3 tablespoons of Thai red curry paste (1 tablespoon if you want the soup mild)
- 1 knob of ginger, grated
- 2 cloves of garlic, grated
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 chicken breast, sliced into this strips
- 12 large shrimps, raw and completely peeled
- 2 large bok choys, sliced into 1 inch thick pieces, whites and greens separated
- 3 shallots, sliced thinly, whites only
- 3 tablespoons of fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- half a can of coconut cream
- 1 pack of vermicelli rice noodles (of your choice!)
- Thai basil
- corriander, chopped
- red onion, sliced thinly
- bean sprouts
- 3 shallots, sliced thinly, greens only
- lime wedges (optional)
How to make my Spicy Laksa Noodle Soup Recipe:
- Start by prepping all your ingredients.
- Heat the vegetable oil on medium-high heat in a large pot and add the Thai red curry paste, grated ginger and grated garlic. Stir around and cook for a few minutes, then add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Meanwhile, start another pot and boil some water to cook the noodles. Once the water comes to a boil, add the noodles in and cook as per the instructions on the package. Once cooked, drain and divide into 2 large soup bowls. Reserve.
- Once the broth is boiling, start by adding in the sliced raw chicken and the raw shrimps. After a few minutes, add in the whites of the bok choy and a couple minutes later, the greens of the bok choy and the whites of the green onions. After a total of about 5 minutes, everything should be cooked (chicken, shrimps, and bok choy).
- At this point, add the remaining ingredients for the soup – fish sauce, brown sugar and coconut cream – and make the necessary adjustments.
- Laddle big spoon fulls of the soup over the noodles, making sure to include sliced chicken, shrimps and bok choy. Add your choice of the garnishes on top and voilà! Your spicy laksa noodle soup is ready to be enjoyed.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can also try my spicy laksa noodle soup variant, made with cod and turkey! The process is relatively the same, just be careful not to stir around too much once the cod is cooking in the broth, otherwise it will all fall apart.
You can also try my scallop laksa 😉
*All photos are my own